Frequently Asked Questions
All Ed.D. students are required to attend one Summer Institute to fulfill their degree requirements.
The Summer Institute will begin on Saturday, July 9, 2016 (registration opens at 9:00 a.m.) and will end at noon on Tuesday, July 12, 2016.
No. Students are responsible for making their own travel arrangements, but the Travel and Accommodations
tab includes some resources to help you plan your trip.
NSU has reserved blocks of rooms at discounted rates with several local hotels:
- Courtyard by Marriott (Fort Lauderdale Plantation): $109 per night plus tax
- LaQuinta Inns & Suites (Plantation at Peters Road): $85 per night plus tax
- Residence Inn by Marriott (Fort Lauderdale Plantation): $109 per night plus tax
- Staybridge Suites (Fort Lauderdale Plantation): rate is $119 per night plus tax
Visit the Travel and Accommodations tab to explore your options and to make reservations.
Rates are good for bookings from 7/9/16 to 7/12/16; reservations must be made by 6/9/16. After 6/9/16, if space is available, reservations will be accepted at the prevailing rate.
No, you may make a reservation at any hotel in the area.
NSU will provide limited transportation to NSU's Main Campus from the hotels listed above only. If you are not staying at one of these hotels, you will be responsible for your own transportation to and from NSU's Main Campus.
No, you will have to arrange for your own transportation from the airport to your hotel. Check with your hotel about the availability of shuttle service to and from the airport. You may also make use of any of the local taxi, shared ride, or car services that are available at the airport upon your arrival.
Please refer to the Travel and Accommodations tab for additional information.
Attending one Summer Institute is a requirement for graduation.
- Students who began the Ed.D. program in summer 2015, fall 2015, or winter 2016 semesters are encouraged to attend the 2016 Summer Institute. If for some reason you cannot attend this year, we look forward to seeing you at the 2017 Summer Institute. Attendance at one Summer Institute is a requirement of the new 54 credit program.
- Students who began the Ed.D. program prior to summer 2015 and have yet to meet the program requirement of attending a Summer Institute must attend the 2016 Summer Institute to fulfill this graduation requirement.
Yes! Returning Abraham S. Fischler College of Education doctoral students are encouraged to attend and take advantage of the numerous workshops by registering for FSC 8005.
First-Time Attendees: Web registration for FSC 8000 began on March 21, 2016, and will close on June 10, 2016; the registration fee is $695. Late registration for FSC 8000 will be accepted from June 11, 2016 through July 9, 2016, and will incur an additional late fee of $100.
Returning Students: Web registration for FSC 8005 began on March 21, 2016, and will close on June 10, 2016; the registration fee is $695. Late registration for FSC 8000 will be accepted from June 11, 2016 through July 9, 2016, and will incur an additional late fee of $100.
Semester Code: 201650 (Summer 2016)
Course ID: FSC 8000
Course ID: FSC 8005
Please refer to the Registration tab on this website for more detailed registration information.
- First-time attending students registering for FSC 8000 and returning students registering for FSC 8005 will pay a fee of $695 for registrations completed prior to June 10, 2016. Late registrations will be accepted from June 11, 2016 through July 9, 2016 at a fee of $795.
- Guests, members of the general public, and NSU alumni who wish to participate should submit the registration form along with the $99 registration fee.
Yes, all NSU alumni are invited to participate! To attend, complete and return the registration form
along with the $99 registration fee.
Yes, family, friends, and the general public (excluding children) are welcome to attend! However, they cannot participate in any of the conference activities or sessions unless they complete and return the registration form along with the $99 registration fee.
Everyone (excluding children) is welcome to attend the reception that will be held on Monday, July 11, 2016, from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m. on NSU's main campus at the Don Taft University Center; a nominal fee will apply.
Making a vacation of your Summer Institute trip? The Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention and Visitors Bureau can provide you and your family with resources and information on local attractions.
At the completion of the summer semester, and after verification that attendance and all requirements (concurrent sessions, workshops, etc.) have been met, a grade of "Pass" will be issued for FSC 8000 (0 credits) and FSC 8005 (0 credits). A final grade will appear on your transcript for FSC 8000 or FSC 8005.
All questions regarding the 2016 Summer Institute should be directed to Carole Benedict at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (954) 262-8525 or 800-986-3223, ext. 28525.