Top of Page
Skip main navigation

Tips for Problem Avoidance

    • Read the catalog and handbook; become familiar with policies and procedures.
    • Save a copy of the catalog/handbook from the year you initially enrolled.
    • Familiarize yourself with the FSE&SCJ website and resources available to students to aid in the successful completion of your degree program.
    • Be aware of and adhere to due dates, time frames, and deadlines.
    • Keep track of your progress (i.e., courses/requirements completed and courses/requirements still to be completed).
      • Maintain files for copies of forms submitted, e-mails, program literature, general communications, etc.
    • Get to know your professors and applied dissertation chair; maintain open lines of communication.
    • Keep copies of all course assignments and feedback, communications with instructors, etc., through graduation.
    • Maintain individual files for each course, for practicums/field work, and for the dissertation.
    • Get to know your academic advisor; maintain open lines of communication.
    • Learn APA style. Cite and reference properly with attention to detail; avoid plagiarism.
    • Follow-up on forms submitted to verify receipt; save confirmations. Don’t assume requests (e.g., drops, withdrawals, etc.) have been processed; follow up and verify.
    • When problems arise that inhibit your studies (i.e., work, personal, family, illness/medical), inform your professor and/or advisor. Don’t wait until the end of the course or until after the course/term has ended.
      • Withdraw from the course if necessary to avoid a failing grade (be cognizant of drop/withdrawal deadlines).*
      • Request grades of incomplete prior to the end of the course by completing and submitting an Incomplete Grade Agreement Form (available on the FCE&SCJ website).*
    • * Prior to withdrawing from classes or requesting an incomplete, students receiving financial aid are strongly advised to consult a financial aid advisor in the Office of Enrollment and Student Services (ESS) regarding any possible ramifications to the disbursement of funds and eligibility relative to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
Return to top of page