The following advice is intended to help you complete the format-review phase:
- From the beginning of your doctoral program, you should study the required text for style: the sixth edition of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association. The use of the Mastering APA Style workbook—a supplement to thePublication Manual—is an invaluable resource for enhancing your APA-style skills. The College of Education’s Format Guide for the Applied Dissertation is the primary resource for dissertation formatting requirements (margins, typeface, spacing, pagination, preliminary pages, etc.).
- The Applied Dissertation website should be checked on a regular basis for information related to the dissertation process. The page entitled “Resources for Writing and Preparing the Applied Dissertation” contains the following sections: Format Guide, Statement of Original Work, Plagiarism, Format Review, APA Guidelines, Abstract Descriptors, Writing Resources, Word Processing Help, and Finding an Editor or Typist.
- Dissertation templates will assist you in organizing the components of your dissertation and in formatting the manuscript according to doctoral requirements.
- At any point in the dissertation process, your committee chair may suggest that you seek the assistance of a professional editor for style and format issues. Be sure that you hire an editor who has successful and verifiable experience working on manuscripts for College of Education doctoral students.
- The Applied Dissertation website (under “Format Review”) shows the current turnaround time for review of manuscripts; the displayed number is an estimate. All submissions—including revisions—are examined in the order in which they are received for review (see “Steps in the Final-Approval Process”).
- You must be an active participant in all facets of the dissertation process. Therefore, your editor (if you have hired one) should not communicate directly with the format reviewer. You are responsible for ensuring that the manuscript is correct in all respects.
- Format reviews are entered in the ADRIANA tracking system. You and your committee chair will be notified by e-mail that the review is available. The message is sent to your NSU e-mail address. If the review indicates “Approval with Revisions,” you need to complete the changes in the final copy that you will subsequently send to FCE.