The Fischler College of Education is no longer accepting new applicants for this program.
The Reading Endorsement Certificate is an add-on endorsement program in Ohio for teachers. It provides a pragmatic learning approach that applies the technology used within the distance education environments today coupled with a focused practical and foundational approach to reading strategies, assessment techniques, content area-specific applications, and reading practice pedagogy. Course content is research-based and infuses scientifically-based evidence of best practices, while providing the skills to develop curriculum and assess, evaluate, and instruct students in reading. It is aligned directly with the Ohio Board of Regents’ program licensure requirements for the Reading Endorsement.
Who Should Apply
Practicing and certified educators who are working with children and adolescents in grades K-12 who are seeking an add-on reading endorsement in Ohio.
- Completed admission application packet, including a $50 nonrefundable application fee made payable to Nova Southeastern University
- Official transcript indicating conferral of a bachelor's degree by a regionally accredited institution (2.5 minimum cumulative grade point average required)
- Official transcripts from all previously attended postsecondary institutions
- Valid Ohio Teaching License: Initial/Temporary or Professional
||Course Title and Description
||Foundations of Reading: Theory and Practice
||Assessment in Reading
||Supervised Reading Practicum 1: Individual Remediation
||Reading in the Content Area
||Language Arts in the Secondary School
TOTAL CREDITS: 15
Coursework for the Reading Endorsement program, state approved in Ohio, is available online. This distance delivery option allows busy professionals to complete their programs without having to leave their jobs or travel long distances.
Faculty members for the master of science in education are scholars and educators from Nova Southeastern University and other major universities and institutions throughout the country. In addition many are also highly respected professional practitioners, who are carefully selected on the basis of their subject expertise, teaching abilities, and professional involvement. Most importantly, they are united in their desire to not only educate, but to inspire students to use what they learn to motivate others.
- Satisfactory completion of all required coursework
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Students with a Temporary Teaching License must provide:
- a. Praxis II Subject Assessment in Teaching Reading PK-12 (#204) qualifying score 159
b. Evidence of student teaching experience or a minimum of 1 year teaching experience in a K-12 classroom
- Students with a Professional Teaching License must submit:
- Praxis II Subject Assessment in Teaching Reading PK-12, (#204) qualifying score 159
Courses in the program meet the Ohio Board of Regents licensure requirements for the Reading Endorsement, but it is the responsibility of the student to contact his/her state department of education regarding certification, recertification, and/or endorsement requirements.