Educational Leadership (Georgia)
The Fischler College of Education is no longer accepting new applicants for this program.
The master of science in education with a specialization in educational leadership is a state-approved program in Georgia leading to Tier 1 certification in Georgia. This degree allows educational leadership candidates to be employed only as assistant principals or in district-level positions that will not supervise principals. It provides educators with leadership skills through practical application and broad knowledge of social, political, and economic forces at work in society that affect education. Course content is research-based and infuses best practices in education, while aligning directly with the Georgia Professional Standards Commission Tier 1 certification requirements.
*All students seeking certification in Georgia should refer to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission, http://www.gapsc.com/ regarding eligibility requirements and regulatory updates.
- Completed admission application packet, including a $50 nonrefundable application fee made payable to Nova Southeastern University
- Official transcript indicating conferral of a bachelor's degree by a regionally accredited institution (2.5 minimum cumulative grade-point average required)
- Official transcripts from all previously attended postsecondary institutions
- Bachelor’s degree and Professional Level 4 certificate or higher in a teacher, service, or leadership field
- Candidates enrolled in any GaPSC-approved Educational Leadership program on or after July 1, 2016, must have completed, but do not have to pass, the Georgia Ethics for Educational Leadership Assessment – Program Entry prior to enrollment
- School/district endorsement and agreement for residency at the Building or District Level (submitted via the Superintendent’s Assurance Form and the Residency Agreement)
- Letter of Recommendation (from a direct supervisor)
||Course Title and Description
||Orientation to the Graduate Teacher Education Program
||Educational Research for Practitioners
||Standards-Based Curriculum and Assessment
||Electronic Tools for Educational Leaders
||School Law for Administrators
||Human Resources: Process and Staff Development
||Problem Solving and Visionary Leadership
||Management of Schools
||Educational Budgeting and Finance
School Improvement Process
||Administrative/Educational Leadership Internship
TOTAL CREDITS: 36
Coursework for the educational leadership specialization state approved in Georgia is available online with allows students to receive and submit coursework and interact with participants and professors via the Internet. The distance education option allows busy professionals the option to complete degrees without having to leave their jobs or travel long distances.
The administrative internship is the culminating experience in this program. The purpose of this internship is to provide an opportunity to perform the duties of a school or district administrator. Under the guidance of an experienced cooperating administrator and a faculty supervisor, the intern will observe, interview, and work with the assigned administrator for a minimum of 300 contact hours. In addition, students will maintain leadership portfolios detailing the role and responsibilities of an educational leader.
- Satisfactory completion of all required coursework
- Successful completion of the administrative internship, including the portfolio
- Cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher
- Completed application for degree
- All candidates completing any GaPSC-approved Educational Leadership program on or after July 1, 2016, must attempt the Georgia Ethics for Educational Leadership – Program Exit for program completion and must pass the assessment to earn certification in the field of Educational Leadership.
Faculty members for the master of science in education are scholars and educators from Nova Southeastern University and other major universities and institutions throughout the country. In addition many are also highly respected professional practitioners, who are carefully selected on the basis of their subject expertise, teaching abilities, and professional involvement. Most importantly, they are united in their desire to not only educate, but to inspire students to use what they learn to motivate others.
The master of science in education with a specialization in educational leadership, state approved in Georgia, meets all requirements of the Georgia Professional Standards Commission for educational leadership certification.
Important note: Candidates must comply with any rule changes and/or additions instituted by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (GaPSC) affecting Educational Leadership certification. All students should refer to the GaPSC, http://www.gapsc.com/ for updates and eligibility requirements.