The Fischler College of Education is no longer accepting new applicants for this program.
The M.S. in Education with a specialization in Science Education leading to certification for teachers in Florida focuses on the teaching of Science Content Standards for grades 5-9 as specified by the National Science Teachers Association. This specialization provides educators with knowledge of multiple science areas and skills to instruct students in science through a variety of learning techniques. Course content is research-based and infuses best practices in education and strategies for teaching science, while aligning directly with the Florida Department of Education‘s certification requirements for Middle Grade General Science in grades 5-9.
- Complete the admission application packet and submit a $50.00 non-refundable fee (U.S. dollars) made payable to Nova Southeastern University (NSU).
- Official transcripts from all previously attended academic institutions. An official transcript indicating conferral of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- A minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is required for all students. Applicants who do not meet the 2.5 CGPA requirement must submit Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores (a combined score of 1000 for the verbal and quantitative scales only). If the applicant does not meet the minimum 2.5 GPA or GRE score requirement, the applicant may enroll in a maximum of six (6) credit hours and must earn a grade of B or better in each course during the first term of enrollment for conditional admission. Students who do not earn a grade of B or better in each course will be subject to dismissal from the program.
||Course Title and Description
||Orientation to the Graduate Teacher Education Program
||Educational Research for Practitioners
||Accomplished Practices Seminar
||Classroom Management and Organization
||Methods in Science Education
||Foundations of Physical Science for Teachers
||Inquiry-Based Space Science for Teachers
||Teaching Comprehensive Ocean Studies
||Teaching Inquiry-Based Life Science
||Teaching Chemistry: An Activity-Based Study of Matter and Energy
||Interdisciplinary Earth Science for Teachers
||Applied Professional Experience in Science Education
||Teacher Education Simulation
Electives: 6 Credits
TOTAL CREDITS: 37
The applied professional experience is one of many practical applications included in the science education specialization. This capstone project is the final step in the completion of the program. Conducted in an appropriate educational setting, candidates will maintain a reflective journal and create a file of samples of their students’ work and the assessment instruments used to demonstrate achievement of the state professional and content standards. All applied professional experiences are accompanied by a portfolio detailing the rationale, process, and evaluation of the project.
Students with a Temporary Teaching Certificate must provide:
- Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) – Passing scores on the following areas:
a. Professional Education Test (PED)
b. General Knowledge Test (GKT) or CLAST (if taken prior to July 1, of 2002)
c. Subject Area Exam (SAE) in Middle School General Science
d. Evidence of student teaching experience or have a minimum of one (1) year of full-time teaching experience in a K-12 school.
Students with a Professional Teaching Certificate must provide:
- Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) – Passing scores on the following areas: Subject Area Exam (SAE) in Middle School General Science
- Satisfactory completion of all required coursework
- Successful completion of the Supervised Teaching Internship, including the portfolio, demonstrating competence within the Educator Accomplished Practices
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
All students must submit a Degree Application
Coursework for the science education specialization is available online and at many of NSU’s Campuses. The online delivery option allows students to receive and submit coursework and interact with participants and professors via the Internet. The site-based delivery option allows students to take classes in the evenings or on weekends in locations near their homes. The distance delivery option allows busy professionals to complete their degrees without having to leave their jobs or travel long distances.
Faculty members for the master of science in education are scholars and educators from Nova Southeastern University and other major universities and institutions throughout the country. In addition many are also highly respected professional practitioners, who are carefully selected on the basis of their subject expertise, teaching abilities, and professional involvement. Most importantly, they are united in their desire to not only educate, but to inspire students to use what they learn to motivate others.
Students are advised to contact their state department of education or an Enrollment Services Representative (Academic Advisor) to determine if this program is suitable for certification/licensure and their career goals.