The Master of Science in Education with a specialization in Reading Education is a state-approved program in Florida for add-on certification for teachers. It focuses on literacy and language arts. This specialization provides educators with the skills to develop curriculum and assess, evaluate, and instruct students in reading. Course content is research based and infuses best practices in education, while aligning directly with the Florida Department of Education’s program certification requirements.
Who Should Apply
- Practicing reading and language arts educators who wish to obtain graduate degrees or recertification and/or increase their levels of expertise in their current field
- Individuals with bachelor’s degrees in an education field who wish to obtain graduate degrees or recertification and/or add a certification area in reading education
- Completed admission application packet, including a $50 nonrefundable application fee made payable to Nova Southeastern University
- Official transcript indicating conferral of a bachelor’s degree by a regionally accredited institution (2.5 minimum cumulative grade-point average required)
- Official transcripts from all previously attended postsecondary institutions
- Valid professional teaching certificate or temporary teaching certificate with passing scores for CLAST or General Knowledge Test
||Course Title and Description
||Orientation to the Graduate Teacher Education Program
||Educational Research for Practitioners
||Foundations of Reading: Theory and Practice
||Assessment in Reading
||Supervised Reading Practicum 1: Individual Remediation (Formerly 500 Techniques of Corrective and Remedial Reading)
||Contemporary Foundations of Reading: Research Perspective
||Literature for Children and Adolescents
||Language Arts in the Secondary School
||Supervised Reading Practicum II: Group Remediation
||Reading in the Content Area
||Reading Supervision and Curriculum Development
||Administration and Interpretation of Instructional Assessments
TOTAL CREDITS: 36
Coursework for the reading education specialization state approved in Florida is available online and at many of the NSU Campuses throughout the state of Florida. The online delivery option allows students to receive and submit coursework and interact with participants and professors via the Internet. The site-based delivery option allows students to take classes in the evenings or on weekends.. The distance delivery option allows busy professionals to complete degrees without having to leave their jobs or travel long distances.
Faculty members in the Department of Curriculum & Instruction are dedicated to preparing aspiring teachers and those seeking careers as professionals in education-related fields. Hailing from NSU and other major universities and institutions throughout the country and around the world, our faculty are highly respected professional practitioners and recognized scholars who are carefully selected on the basis of their subject area expertise, teaching abilities, and professional involvement. Furthermore, they are united in their desire to not only educate, but to inspire students to use what they learn to motivate others.
Meet the Faculty and Staff of the Department of Curriculum & Instruction
Students with a Temporary Teaching Certificate must provide:
- Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) – Passing scores on the following areas:
a. Professional Education Test (PED)
b. General Knowledge Test (GKT) or CLAST (if taken prior to July 1, of 2002)
c. Subject Area Exam (SAE) in Reading K-12
d. Evidence of student teaching experience or have a minimum of one (1) year of full-time teaching experience in a K-12 school.
Students with a Professional Teaching Certificate must provide:
- Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) – Passing scores on the following areas: Subject Area Exam (SAE) in Reading K-12
- Satisfactory completion of all required coursework
- Successful completion of the Supervised Teaching Internship, including the portfolio, demonstrating competence within the Educator Accomplished Practices
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
All students must submit a Degree Application
The master of science in education degree program with a specialization in reading education state approved in Florida meets all requirements of the Florida Department of Education reading education (grades k–12) add-on certification.
Florida participates in the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification Interstate Agreement facilitating mobility of Educational Personnel with over 50 other states and jurisdictions for teacher certification and/or licensure. Graduates who wish to teach outside the state of Florida must contact their state's department of education for information for attaining certification/licensure through reciprocity.