The Fischler College of Education is no longer accepting new applicants for this program.
The M.S. in Education with a specialization in Mathematics Education is a state approved program that focuses on preparing educators in the areas of middle and secondary school mathematics. This specialization provides educators with skills for assessment, curriculum development, and instruction in subject areas such as geometry, algebra, and calculus, as well as strategies for developing problem solving skills in students. Course content is research-based and infuses best practices in education.
- Complete the admission application packet and submit a $50.00 non-refundable fee (U.S. dollars) made payable to Nova Southeastern University (NSU).
- Official transcripts from all previously attended academic institutions. An official transcript indicating conferral of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution is required.
- A minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is required for all students. Applicants who do not meet the 2.5 CGPA requirement must submit Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores (a combined score of 1000 for the verbal and quantitative scales only). If the applicant does not meet the minimum 2.5 GPA or GRE score requirement, the applicant may enroll in a maximum of six (6) credit hours and must earn a grade of B or better in each course during the first term of enrollment for conditional admission. Students who do not earn a grade of B or better in each course will be subject to dismissal from the program.
- Valid Teaching Certificate: Temporary or Professional - If entering with Temporary Teaching Certificate, please provide:
- Passing CLAST scores (if taken prior to July 1, 2002), or
- General Knowledge Test (GKT), or
- GRE score of 1000 between verbal and quantitative scales.
||Course Title and Description
||Orientation to the Graduate Teacher Education Program
||Educational Research for Practitioners
||Algebra in Secondary Schools
||Learning Geometry in the K -12 Classroom
||Problem-Solving Strategies in Mathematics Classrooms
||History, Current Trends, and Technology in Mathematics Education
||Diagnosis and Remediation of Learning Difficulties in Mathematics
||Teaching Probability and Statistics in the K -12 Classroom
||Methods of Teaching Middle and Secondary Mathematics
||Conquering the Teaching of Calculus
||Strategies for Teaching Calculus
||Linear and Abstract Algebra for Teachers
||Applied Professional Experience in Math Education
TOTAL CREDITS: 36
The applied professional experience is one of many practical applications included in the middle and secondary mathematics education specialization. This capstone project is the final step in the completion of the program. Conducted in an appropriate educational setting, candidates will maintain a reflective journal and create a file of samples of their students’ work and the assessment instruments used to demonstrate achievement of the state professional and content standards. All applied professional experiences are accompanied by a portfolio detailing the rationale, process, and evaluation of the project.
Students with a Temporary Teaching Certificate must provide:
- Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) – Passing scores on the following areas:
a. Professional Education Test (PED)
b. General Knowledge Test (GKT) or CLAST (if taken prior to July 1, of 2002)
c. Subject Area Exam (SAE) in Mathematics Education 5-9 or 6-12
d. Evidence of student teaching experience or have a minimum of one (1) year of full-time teaching experience in a K-12 school.
Students with a Professional Teaching Certificate must provide:
- Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) – Passing scores on the following areas: Subject Area Exam (SAE) in Mathematics Education 5-9 or 6-12
- Satisfactory completion of all required coursework
- Successful completion of the Supervised Teaching Internship, including the portfolio, demonstrating competence within the Educator Accomplished Practices
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
All students must submit a Degree Application
Coursework for the Education with a specialization in Mathematics Education is a state approved program, is available online. The online delivery option allows candidates to receive and submit coursework and interact with participants and professors via the Internet. The distance delivery option allows busy professionals to complete their degrees without having to leave their jobs or travel long distances.
Faculty members for the master of science in education are scholars and educators from Nova Southeastern University and other major universities and institutions throughout the country. In addition many are also highly respected professional practitioners, who are carefully selected on the basis of their subject expertise, teaching abilities, and professional involvement. Most importantly, they are united in their desire to not only educate, but to inspire students to use what they learn to motivate others.
The master of science in education degree program with a specialization in middle and secondary mathematics education state approved in Florida meets all requirements of the Florida Department of Education exceptional student education (grades k–12) add-on certification.
Florida participates in the Interstate Agreement on Qualification of Educational Personnel with 38 other states for teacher certification and/or licensure. Graduates who wish to teach outside the state of Florida must contact the state’s department of education for information for attaining certification through reciprocity.