The master of science in education with a specialization in educational leadership is a state-approved program in Florida for add-on certification for teachers. It prepares prekindergarten through 12th grade teachers for administrative positions in public and nonpublic schools and school systems. The master's in educational leadership at the Fischler College of Education provides educators with leadership skills through practical application and provides broad knowledge of social, political, and economic forces at work in society that affect education. Course content for students seeking a master’s degree in educational leadership is research based and infuses best practices in education, while aligning directly with the Florida Department of Education’s educational leadership certification requirements.
Who Should Apply
- Practicing prekindergarten through 12th grade teachers who wish to obtain graduate degrees and enter the field of educational leadership
- Individuals with bachelor’s degrees and valid professional teaching certificates who wish to obtain graduate degrees and/or add a certification area in educational leadership
- Completed admission application packet, including a $50 nonrefundable application fee made payable to Nova Southeastern University
- Official transcript indicating conferral of a bachelor's degree by a regionally accredited institution (2.5 minimum cumulative grade-point average required)
- Official transcripts from all previously attended postsecondary institutions
||Course Title and Description
||Orientation to the Graduate Teacher Education Program
||Educational Research for Practitioners
||Standards-Based Curriculum and Assessment
||Electronic Tools for Educational Leaders
||School Law for Administrators
||HR – Process and Staff Development
||Ethical School Leadership
||Problem Solving and Visionary Leadership
||Management of Schools
||Educational Budgeting and Finance
||Seminar in the Knowledge Base of Educational Leadership
||Administrative/Educational Leadership Internship
TOTAL CREDITS: 36
Coursework for the educational leadership specialization state approved in Florida is available online and at the NSU Campuses throughout the state of Florida. The online delivery option allows international students and those who don't live near our South Florida campuses to receive and submit coursework and interact with participants and professors via the Internet. The site-based delivery option allows students to take classes in the evenings or on weekends in a location near their homes. The distance education option allows busy professionals the option to complete degrees without having to leave their jobs or travel long distances.
The administrative internship is the culminating experience in this program. The purpose of this internship is to provide an opportunity to perform the duties of a school or district administrator. Under the guidance of an experienced cooperating administrator and a faculty supervisor, the intern will observe, interview, and work with the assigned administrator for a minimum of 300 contact hours. In addition, students will maintain leadership portfolios detailing the role and responsibilities of an educational leader.
- Satisfactory completion of all required coursework
- Passing Scores on all sections of the Florida Educational Leadership Examination (FELE)
- Successful completion of the administrative internship, including the portfolio
- Cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher
- Completed application for degree
Faculty members in the Department of Curriculum & Instruction are dedicated to preparing aspiring teachers and those seeking careers as professionals in education-related fields. Hailing from NSU and other major universities and institutions throughout the country and around the world, our faculty are highly respected professional practitioners and recognized scholars who are carefully selected on the basis of their subject area expertise, teaching abilities, and professional involvement. Furthermore, they are united in their desire to not only educate, but to inspire students to use what they learn to motivate others.
Meet the Faculty and Staff of the Department of Curriculum & Instruction
The master of science in education with a specialization in educational leadership,state approved in Florida, meets all requirements of the Florida Department of Education educational leadership add-on certification.
Florida participates in the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification Interstate Agreement facilitating mobility of educational personnel. Graduates who wish to obtain certification/licensure outside the state of Florida must contact their state's department of education for information for attaining certification/licensure through reciprocity.