Educational Leadership (Nevada State-Approved for Licensure )
The Educational Specialist in Educational Leadership is a state-approved, add-on licensure program for Nevada teachers. Offered by the Nova Southeastern University (NSU) Fischler College of Education, it focuses on preparing prekindergarten through 12th-grade teachers for administrative positions in public and nonpublic schools and school systems. This Ed.S. program provides educators with leadership skills through practical application and provides broad knowledge of social, political, and economic forces at work in society that affect education. Course content for an educational specialist program is research-based and infuses best practices in educational leadership, while aligning directly with the Department of Education's certification/licensure requirements in Nevada.
Who Should Apply
- Practicing prekindergarten through 12th grade Nevada licensed teachers who wish to obtain graduate degrees or recertification and/or increase their levels of expertise in their current field
- Individuals with master's degrees in education who wish to obtain graduate degrees or recertification and/or add a certification area in educational leadership
- Residents of Nevada who want to earn their Ed.S. degree
- Completed admission application packet including a nonrefundable application fee made payable to Nova Southeastern University
- Official transcripts indicating conferral of a master's degree by a regionally accredited institution (3.0 minimum cumulative grade point average required)
- Official transcripts from all previously attended postsecondary institutions
- Valid Professional Teaching Certificate/License
- Official Verification Letter (documenting at least two years of teaching experience)
- Student Enrollment Agreement (available in application packet)
||Course Title and Description
||Orientation to the Graduate Teacher Education Program
||Research and Design
||Standards-Based Curriculum and Assessment
||Technology for Educational Leaders
||Ethical School Leadership
||Problem Solving and Visionary Leadership
||Organizational Management of Schools
||Educational Budgeting and Finance
||School Law for Administrators
||Personnel Selection and Development
||Administration of School Improvement Process
||Administrative/Educational Leadership Internship
TOTAL CREDITS: 36
Coursework for an Ed.S. with a specialization in Educational Leadership from the Fischler College of Education is available online which allows students to receive and submit coursework and interact with participants and professors via the Internet. This distance delivery option allows busy professionals to complete their degrees without having to leave their jobs or travel long distances.
The administrative internship is the culminating experience in this educational leadership degree program. The purpose of this internship is to provide Nevada licensed teachers the opportunity to perform the duties of a school or district administrator. Under the guidance of an experienced cooperating administrator and a faculty supervisor, the intern will observe, interview, and work with the assigned administrator for a minimum of 240 contact hours. In addition, students will maintain a leadership portfolio detailing the role and responsibilities of an educational leader.
Faculty members in the Department of Curriculum & Instruction are dedicated to preparing aspiring teachers and those seeking careers as professionals in education-related fields. Hailing from NSU and other major universities and institutions throughout the country and around the world, our faculty are highly respected professional practitioners and recognized scholars who are carefully selected on the basis of their subject area expertise, teaching abilities, and professional involvement. Furthermore, they are united in their desire to not only educate, but to inspire students to use what they learn to motivate others.
Meet the Faculty and Staff of the Department of Curriculum & Instruction
- Satisfactory completion of all required coursework
- Successful completion of the internship, including the portfolio
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Completed application for degree
- All students must have three years of Teaching Experience to complete graduation requirements
- Nevada residents are required to take and pass all sections of the Praxis II exam: (0411) Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision minimum score: 141.
- Educational Leadership students who reside in Georgia are required to take and pass all sections of the Georgia Assessment of the Certification of Educators (GACE) for Educational Leadership
- Educational Leadership students who reside in states other than Florida, Georgia, And Nevada are required to complete their state’s department of education Educational Leadership exam requirement
The educational specialist in educational leadership, state approved in Nevada and states other than Florida, meets all requirements of the Department of Education’s educational specialist certification/license